New Website Redirect.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

styro coffee, with a splash of sad...

i was in a rush today so i had to grab coffee at the maverick gas station rather than sbux. i really need to work on their ads, little bit country...little bit white trash. who cares if it offends them. it's true, which is why i go there. prime people watching!

anyway.

as i was walking out, in walked a war veteren. he had to be in his late 70's or so. he was in full uniform, and by full uniform i mean even his oxygen talk had dress blues! it reminded me of a time when seeing someone in uniform meant something to me. as opposed to now. now when i see someone in uniform i am only reminded of a war i don't believe in. i would offer my full opinionated sarah trash talk here but honestly i am not in the mood. WHA?? me not in the mood to shit talk the current administration? obviously that coffee didn't give me quite the boost i was hoping for. i remember being little sarah and seeing my grandpa's uniform in grandma red-car's closet. i don't have many memories of him, he died when i was really young. seeing the uniform as a child was impressive. something of honor and respect for a man i only knew through pictures. seeing the maverick man brought that all back. sadly, my grandmother is now gone as well, so i am unable to make a quick trip down memory lane.

i can't help but wonder.....will i ever be a proud american again? or was that only something of my childhood....

2 comments:

Dave said...

although i definitely don't support the war, i support the troops who are over there. one of my coworkers just got back from a deployment and he said morale is incredibly low and NOBODY wants to be there.

whenever i fly, i always tell the flight attendants to offer anyone in uniform a drink on me. i guess it's my meager attempt to show that some of us still appreciate what they're doing, even if we don't agree with the cause. not everybody over there wanted this war.

Sarah Bellum said...

you're a good man, charlie brown!