New Website Redirect.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

a minivan world (guest blog)

let me quickly preface this next post--i'm going to start having a guest blog segment, mainly because my pals have fantastic blog ideas but no time to maintain a blog (read:lazy). the first of many comes from jb, superstar. jb is a member of the infamous geek squad. i enjoy every moment spent with him, as will you. i promise.


The power of persuasion leads many people to believe that SUVs are cool, and that minivans are boring and tired and that what they really need to shuttle from school to the grocery store is an SUV. It doesn’t matter whether it’s an H-2 or one of the 90-or-so SUVs based on their respective sister passenger car uni-body frames, all that matters is that they’re driving an SUV. Let’s just call them SMCs for now (Suburban Mom Cars). Carmakers have long understood the fact that marketing is the key to selling cars, and therefore, they have developed a format that sells in exchange for compromise in function. What consumers don’t fully understand is that they really want a minivan but are too vain or “hip” to know it. My crusade is to “educate” the sheep of the SUV trend that minivans are great.

OK, let’s enumerate the advantages of the minivan: better gas mileage, more room, lower insurance costs, easier access, larger payload capacity, more comfortable interior, better road ride, lots of cup holders, the list goes on. And speaking of road ride, how many SUVs actually ever leave the pavement? Most SUV owners quickly point to the time two years ago when they drove on that dirt road leading to . . . yada yada yada . . . and that they might need that functionality again some time.

Last week Sarah admitted a HUGE concession: she found herself admiring a panel truck (or work van) thinking that it was pretty cool. I know that it’s not necessarily a minivan, but we first take baby steps, then we learn to run. By opening her eyes, Sarah has opened herself up to a brand new world of freedom. If she can accept minivans for their superiority to SUVs, then she begins to shake that marketing hold that bounds her to so many limitations in life. Free thinkers of the world, Unite! Don’t just follow the flock! Drive a minivan and be free!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

If I could get a mini-van in pink I'm there.

Anonymous said...

SUVs over Mini-vans any day. Still dreaming of an h3 with chrome 20s, black.

qb

Anonymous said...

I love my mini-van, I will be proud to say. Fits my brood perfectly, has a rockin' sound system, and the seats have lumbar support. (that just gave my age away.)
Disclaimer: To that Landcruiser, if I ever can afford you, I will get you.

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that the design of the SUV was originally driven by function (remember the original Jeep Wagoneer)... but the SUV eventually became cool for the urbanites who wanted to look like tough outsiders and now it's the form that drives design (now you can put a tall top heavy uni body on top of a car chassis, call it an SUV).

Now the Minivan... that's a similar story with an opposing result. Functionally necessary, but who wants to look like a mom with lots of kids (unless you live in utah). Even those who need a minivan for just those reasons will look for other reasons to justify having one (they have great sound systems and I have a bad back!).

People today just do not want to LOOK like they need the functionality of the minivan...

The ironic thing, JB, is that people are driving SUVs so they dont look like they are part of the flock. But when the whole flock wants to look different... All the free thinkers, think alike.

Anonymous said...

Give me a break Jen! You are not that old!

Anonymous said...

Uh, thanks Alex, but that really doesn't help my aching back or my gray hairs feel any better.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Lawrence Welk.

Anonymous said...

Thank you "Alex Cooper" for that history lesson and social disection of the "flock."
We're Not Worthy!!!

Anonymous said...

And the H3 with 20's - would those be spinners? Because I have them on my minivan, too.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Do you find yourself checking out other minivans when you're driving around town? Because I do . . . and I'm holding my head high when the other moms are checking me out, too.

Sarah Bellum said...

for the record, i check out ALL heavy equipment on the road. this is what happens when you spend the majority of your day with men. engineer men, who love big trucks.

i need girlfriends.

Sarah Bellum said...

qb-call me when you buy that hummer, we'll go for a ride.

alex-you're a geek.

jen-i love you, but shut-up. you are younger than all of us. oh, and stop checking jb out, he is married!

jb-thanks for the minivan goodness!

urban princess-breast cancer minivans, now there is a concept. forget that stupid warner brothers edition. think pink!

Anonymous said...

When you are able to get Sarah into a minivan, please snap pictures and blog that. I would pay good money to see that.

Anonymous said...

The H3 will have non-spinners. While they are pretty cool, they're not completely my style. They are, however, a great addition to a minivan.

QB

Sarah Bellum said...

QB--you're so pc, admiring jb's spinners. just one more reason i heart you.

Anonymous said...

Ace,
I'll have you know that Sarah has taken a ride in my mini-van countless times. Next time I'll be sure to take that pic.
I'll let you know when and where to send the money.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Thanks for sharing that private information. SARAH loves minivans. We all knew it, you just proved it.
Ace

Sarah Bellum said...

actually, sarah loves jen.

Anonymous said...

There was recently a minivan in my household for a day or so... It was rented to facilitate the transportation of several kindergarteners to the zoo. While it was embarassing to be in, I have to admit that it was spacious, comfortable, and Lora loved the DVD player portion of it.

AND... as an added bonus... Because she could stand upright in the minivan, she kept her shoes off of the seat.

Sarah Bellum said...

first the burbs, now this? what is going on?? thank god, it's almost summer and we can solve the madness by drinking and yelling at boys.

Anonymous said...

Seriously. Summer better save us from ourselves. And it better get here within the next three weeks.