New Website Redirect.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

parking lot adventures

i had the day off yesterday so ben and i took the opportunity to finish up our christmas shopping. we were told my nephew, carter, wanted a pink thomas the tank engine. i was excited, since pink is my thing, then i saw the parking lot at toys r us. it was packed, and the only parking place i could find was next to a mini van parked very badly, forcing me to park very badly myself.

once we entered the store we quickly realized we were totally out of our element. kids were everywhere screaming. the only exposure i have to children is my niece and nephew, who are entirely too shy to be that loud in public.

we found the toy and left as quickly as possible. when we got out to my car there was a couple next to me trying to park where the mini van had been. they were having a very difficult time, since my car was crookedly taking up half their space. when i saw them getting out of their car, i begged ben to just keep walking. he didn't. in fact he looked at me as he put the toys in the trunk and said, "sarah, why the hell did you park so crappy?". the guy looked over at me and said, "yeah, sarah, this totally sucks". i was humiliated and for once it wasn't my fault!

6 comments:

Dave said...

i actually got my vasectomy at toys 'r' us. all those kids running, screaming, throwing shit everywhere ... i pulled out my pocketknife and did it myself.

if you want to make a lot of money, open a toys 'r' us with a bar in the back for the parents.

Anonymous said...

As Sarah's funnest sister in law (ignore the fact that i'm her *only* sister in law), I would personally like to thank her for suffering the wrath of Toys R Us a week prior to Christmas. Only the insane attempt that, unless highly intoxicated. Never the less, Carter will be forever grateful for the sacrifice and reward with a kiss I'm sure!

Jason said...

I am lucky. my nephews know, ahead of time, they are getting a book and a movie (DVD) from me every Christmas and birthday. The last time I tried to be spontaneous with my shopping I discovered that Toys R' Us had clothing. I don't think so!

I will force them to use their imagination or die!

Anonymous said...

You are a very loving Aunt or insane. I haven't decided which one yet.

Did you find the pink train? I saw it in the Toys R Us ad and thought about getting it for my daughter. The on online is a weird color of pink. Is it cute enough to attempt a trip?

Anonymous said...

You haven't had BEN stories for a while, I'm glad he's making a return. That kid is funny!

Anonymous said...

Sarah--

I keep a nice piece of straight-grain hickory in my trunk, and when I see cars parked inconsiderately, I just smash the driver's side mirror off the vehicle. These gentle reminders help my fellow citizens be more compassionate.

I always wanted to go early in the morning and park my car right in front of the Nordstrom's entance to Bellevue Square, with a mannequin in the drivers seat and the reverse lights on. Just to give my fellow shoppers a wry little grin after they wait and wait and wait for some fool who doesn't realize it's a joke and blocks the aisle.

Helpful as always,

Mikey